Talker's Block

OW that I can begin all my posts with a giant letter (as long as the letter is N (for Nathan (x3))), this blog is officially good to go. Anyways, on Monday I was finally able to diagnose one of my problems. This isn't exactly true, but giving a problem a clever name helps me feel better about it. Everyone is familiar with the concept of writer's block: Someone who may be a perfectly good writer has a hard time getting started because their creative juices don't seem to be working. They just need an idea to get themselves going.

I have the same problem with talking. People usually know me as a quiet or even a shy person, but I actually enjoy speaking. I can be spunky and quick-witted in some situations, but all too often I just sit there quietly. This is partly because I can be endlessly entertained by what other people have to say. But that doesn't explain why I'm quiet sometimes in one on one situations, even when I want to say something.

It is said, by me at least, that if you don't have something to say don't say anything at all. By extension, this could also imply that if you do have something you need to say, then by all means say it! Breaking the ice is natural for some people, but for me it's as bad as liquid nitrogen, and how do you break that? The best you can do is pour it in someone's drink and then break the resulting ice. Believe me it's awkward, and no one really appreciates it.

So I've come to the conclusion that the best way to do is to do it naturally. How do you choose to do something naturally? When you do something naturally, you can do it without thinking. You have to do it often enough that you feel confident about it. Similar to that, you can't worry about what other people will think about what you have to say. People will appreciate it, if only because it wasn't fake; it wasn't precalculated to draw attention to how awesome you are.

That's all I have for now. I'm not going to proofread this, because I wrote it for my own benefit to help organize my thoughts. That's what I like about writing.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I'm not generally good at clever repartee...maybe it's an inherited thing.

 

Powered By Blogger

Copyright © 2013 Nathan West