Español

Yesterday I decided that I would that it would be beneficial job-wise to re-learn Spanish. Although I took 3 years of it in high school, I never applied myself to mastering it to any degree. Since then my ability to speak it has faded. The words are still somewhere in my head, but they seem faint and distant. I figured that I needed a simple refresher course.

So yesterday I decided to attempt a lofty feat: It's to read one chapter from my Español copy of El Libro de Mormon every day. I would also have the English version open to refer to. Today was my first day trying it out, and I felt like I learned a lot, and I'm not just referring to it refreshing my mind. Maybe I have the gift of tongues, or maybe my knowledge of Latin roots helps me out, because some of the things I figured out without checking the English version surprised me.

For instance, I came across a word that I had never seen before: "Antepasados." I instantly thought that it must mean forefathers. I checked the English edition, and I was right. At the same time I felt both smart and freaked out. This happened a few times. I haven't studied Spanish since 2003, but already I feel like I've learned more than I did in a month of class in highschool.

No comments:

 

Powered By Blogger

Copyright © 2013 Nathan West