Without Prior Thought

This is a continuation of my "Talker's Block" train of thought. I mentioned that one thing that helps me to speak naturally is to have the confidence to say what you should say without worrying about what other people will think of it.

As with all good things, if you know that something is the right thing to do, then you shouldn't hesitate to do it. You should do it without thinking, because debating in your mind about whether or not you should will only allow your mind to create self-doubt, and you'll eventually decide that its not worth it the effort, for any of infinite reasons.

Just as quickly as I can tell that something is okay, I can also tell if something is wrong or inappropriate. Saying things spontaneously can be a two-edged sword. It can help you to get the right thing off your tongue, but if you don't watch yourself, you can just as easily let out things out that offend people, drive the spirit away from the conversation, and eventually make it difficult to know what is and isn't appropriate to say.

2 comments:

Ross JW said...

amen.

Debbie said...

"Thus far, you have been adrift in the sheltered harbor of my patience."

I would love to come up with spontaneous thoughts like that one. But I don't.

 

Powered By Blogger

Copyright © 2013 Nathan West